chain rule of derivative

chain rule of derivative

Postby fiannawarrior » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Guys, anyone here good at maths. I have two calculation that I can't work out how they are calculated!
I've attached the pdf of the document and have highlighted the calculation that I can't work out which is located on page 19!

I would mean a great deal if someone could show me how the equation is calculated.

Thanks lads!

Wm.
Attachments
Highlighted Neural Networks - small.pdf
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
fiannawarrior

Re: chain rule of derivative

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:41 am

Was it your intention to make it as hard as possible for people to respond?
If it was- good work!

I first had to open a pdf, something many people refuse to do for fear of viruses. Then I had to search through it for any mention of a "derivative". There was no mention of the "chain rule" but I think you are referring to the derivative of the "Sigmoid' which is given as [tex]\frac{1}{1+ e^{-x}}[/tex]. (The text has partial derivatives. I don't know why since there is only the variable x.)

To differentiate that, I would write it as [tex](1+ e^{-x})^{-1}[/tex] and think of it as [tex]z(y)= y^{-1}[/tex] with [tex]y(x)= 1+ e^{-x}[/tex]. The "chain rule" then is [tex]\frac{dz}{dx}= \frac{dz}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]. [tex]\frac{dz}{dy}= (-1)y^{-1-1}= (-1)y^{-2}= -\frac{1}{y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= -e^{-x}[/tex].

So, by the "chain rule", [tex]\frac{dz}{dx}= \frac{1}{y^2}e^{-x}= \frac{e^{-x}}{(1+ e^{-x})^2}[/tex].

For some reason, in this paper they separate [tex]\frac{e^{-x}}{(1+ e^{-x})^2}[/tex] into [tex]\frac{e^{-x}}{1+ e^{-x}}\frac{1}{1+ e^{-x}}[/tex] and write [tex]\frac{e^{-x}}{1+ e^{-x}}[/tex] as [tex]1- \frac{1}{1+ e^{-x}}[/tex]. That is, of course, true because [tex]1- \frac{1}{1+ e^{-x}}= \frac{1+ e^{-x}}{1+ e^{-x}}- \frac{1}{1+ e^{-x}}= \frac{1+ e^{-x}- 1}{1+ e^{-x}}[/tex].

That allows them to write [tex]\frac{d Sigmoid}{dx}= Sigmoid\times (1- Sigmoid)[/tex].

Is that what you were asking about?

Postby fiannawarrior » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:44 am

Jesus lads, that's way beyond me. But no, the help I need is with the following calculations on page 19. Namely, how is -3.70644 and 0.15911 are calculated.

Thanks guys.

Wm.

fiannawarrior

Postby fiannawarrior » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm

okay lads, I'm offering £20 sterling for the first person that posts a solution! This calculation is holding me back from developing a generic algorithm in Embedded C code for artificial neural network.

PS: this is not for a job but merely my own personal code.

Thanks lads....

PS: have a look at page 19 on the pdf I've attached. I've attached pdf because MS Word docs can have viruses, also, you will need paypal for the cash transaction.

fiannawarrior

Postby fiannawarrior » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:29 pm

PS: I also need help in how the following variables are calculated on page 25, namely, -0.8903 and 0.058156.
Thanks guys!

fiannawarrior

Postby fiannawarrior » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:27 am

I think I'll leave this for now. Maybe come back to it later.
Thanks anyway guys for having a look.
fiannawarrior

Return to Calculus - integrals, lim, functions