How do large prime gaps... affect FTA?

How do large prime gaps... affect FTA?

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm

How do large prime gaps, G(X), between consecutive primes less than or equal to X affect the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic (FTA)?

If [tex]G(X) \approx log^{2}X[/tex] for large X, are there too few primes being generated which may violate FTA when applied to composites greater than or equal to [tex]X^{2}[/tex]?

Re: How do large prime gaps... affect FTA?

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 pm

Guest wrote:How do large prime gaps, G(X), between consecutive primes less than or equal to X affect the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic (FTA)?

If [tex]G(X) \approx log^{2}X[/tex] for large X, are there too few primes being generated which may violate FTA when applied to composites greater than or equal to [tex]X^{2}[/tex]?

Hmm. Both FTA and the Prime Number Theorem (PNT) must not be violated.

If [tex]G(X) \approx log^{2}X[/tex] is allowed, then [tex]X^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\prod_{i=1}^{i=j}[/tex] [tex]p_{i}^{n_{i }}[/tex] with some primes, [tex]p_{i} \le X[/tex], must be true even if there is G(X) between some consecutive primes less than or equal to X.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:11 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:How do large prime gaps, G(X), between consecutive primes less than or equal to X affect the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic (FTA)?

Hmm. Both FTA and the Prime Number Theorem (PNT) must not be violated.

If [tex]G(X) \approx log^{2}X[/tex] is allowed, then [tex]X^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\prod_{i=1}^{i=j}[/tex] [tex]p_{i}^{n_{i }}[/tex] with some primes, [tex]p_{i} \le X[/tex], must be true even if there is G(X) between some consecutive primes less than or equal to X.

For large X, we have [tex]\pi(X) \approx X/log X[/tex] according to PNT where log X is the average gap size between consecutive primes less than or equal to X.

Now we let

1. X = s * log X + b * [tex]log^{2}(X)[/tex].

We seek to show that equation one leads to a contradiction because of G(X) for some positive integers, s >> b.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:19 am

Note: The integer constants, s and b, are the number of primes associated with the gap sizes, average and G(X), respectively.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 am

For large X, we have [tex]\pi(X) \approx X/log X[/tex] according to PNT where logX is the average gap size between consecutive primes less than or equal to X.

Now we let,

1. X = s * log X + b * [tex]log^{2}(X)[/tex], approximately.

We seek to show that equation one leads to a contradiction because of G(X) for some positive integers, s >> b.

Note: The integer constants, s and b, are the number of primes associated with the gap sizes, average and G(X), respectively.

Therefore, equation one implies,

2. [tex]X / log X \approx \pi(X) \approx s + b*log X = s + b * X / \pi(X)[/tex].

Moreover, equation two implies approximately,

3. [tex]\pi^{2}(X) - s* \pi(X) - b* X = 0[/tex].

In turn, equations, three and one, imply with the help of quadratic formula,

4. [tex]\pi(X) = \frac{s + \sqrt{s^{2} + 4bX}}{2} = s + b * log X[/tex].

However, equation four implies approximately,

5. X = s / 2 + b * [tex]log^{2} X[/tex] which contradicts equation one!

Thus, G(X) < [tex]log^{2} X[/tex] for large X.

Dave,

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Cole29/amp

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:53 am

For large X we have,

[tex]c_{1 } * log^{2} X \le G(X) \le c_{2 } * log^{2} X[/tex]

where [tex]0 < c_{1 } < c_{2} < 1[/tex].

Dave.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Guest wrote:For large X, we have [tex]\pi(X) \approx X/log X[/tex] according to PNT where logX is the average gap size between consecutive primes less than or equal to X.

Now we let,

2. [tex]X / log X \approx \pi(X) \approx s + b*log X = s + b * X / \pi(X)[/tex].

In turn, equations, three and one, imply with the help of quadratic formula,

5. X = s / 2 + b * [tex]log^{2} X[/tex] which contradicts equation one!

Dave,

Note Change:

"In turn, equations, three and two, imply with the help of quadratic formula,"

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:For large X, we have [tex]\pi(X) \approx X/log X[/tex] according to PNT where logX is the average gap size between consecutive primes less than or equal to X.

Now we let,

In turn, equations, three and two, imply with the help of quadratic formula,

5. X = (s / 2) * log X + b * [tex]log^{2} X[/tex] which contradicts equation one!

Dave,

Note Change:

"In turn, equations, three and two, imply with the help of quadratic formula,"

Note Change:

"5. X = (s / 2) * log X + b * [tex]log^{2} X[/tex] which contradicts equation one!"

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Oops! Proof is still wrong!!

Dave. :-(

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 pm

Guest wrote:Oops! Proof is still wrong!!

Dave. :-(

Note Change:

5. X = s * log X + b * [tex]log^{2} X[/tex] which does not contradict equation one! Equation five confirms equation one!

Thus, G(X) [tex]\le log^{2} X[/tex] for large X.

Hmm. I am not happy with this result! There could be more mistakes... I'll review my work again.

Dave.

P.S. I apologise for the sloppy work.

Return to Number Theory