Complex Fractions and Beginning Algebra

Teacher's questions

Complex Fractions and Beginning Algebra

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:55 am

Hello all,

I'm starting a "beginning algebra" class (that's what my school calls it). It's been a while since I've had a math class and have been reviewing everything from fractions to pre-algebra. In addition to using Khan Academy I purchased a workbook so I could get used to showing my work on problems. In my fraction section of my workbook there are a lot of complex fractions. They seem really complicated (as most math does to me) but I never saw them in any section of KA I've used, again I've only gone as far as pre-algebra.

I was wondering if I should take some initiative and try to learn this on my own or if they're beyond what I'll need to know to get started "beginning algebra" or if I'll even need to know them at all for where I'm right now?

The topics included in beginning algebra will be signed numbers, algebraic terminology, basic operations on algebraic expressions and exponents, solution of linear equations and inequalities, simple factoring, algebraic fractions, and word problems.

Thank you!

Re: Complex Fractions and Beginning Algebra

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:49 am

This reply may be a little late but if not, you might want to take a look at this topic I have linked. It exposes the whole problem on why people in general have a major problem with math. After reading that topic it cleared up that the problem isn't the people, it's actually a very flawed and irrational system that literally cannot work, yet somehow millions of people have tricked themselves into believing it's a system that works.

My reply will make perfect sense after you get done reading it:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5952&p=11692#p11692

Return to Math questions