Maths For Music

Ask the math tutor!

Maths For Music

Postby mathsformusic » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:13 pm

hello

imagine you were someone with virtually no knowledge of mathmatics at all (failed basic school qualification, couldnt see the point etc) but you were a composer and was becoming more and more interested in using maths for music. (thats "me")

Im interested in using fractals and stochastic structures to make music, both in the details and the overall form (self similar, probably)

Ive been using the golden ratio and golden strings and they seem to work very well, they fulfill a compositional maxim, "unity in diversity", or "the same but different".

So two questions for the experts (or anyone else who has an opinion). What course of maths would you recommend for someone like me? (i dont want a degree level understanding or to work on mathmatical problems, I just need to be able to produce equations (i think) or work with them to produce useable numbers/proportions.)

Second question, does anyone have any recommendations for formulas or mathmatical ideas suited to music? (im looking at the lindermeyer system at the moment for instance, the idea of branching sounds seems interesting, but im having trouble with terms and computations and am wondering what books I should be reading to help me gain more control of the materials?)

Sorry for long post, sorry if its not relevant here (moderator please delete or move the post if so) Hopefully it will interest some, the more I learn about maths the more aesthetic it seems, in a good way (a beauty in the numbers, or the form, because we see them everywhere, not because we are supposed to, i.e. culture)
mathsformusic

Postby Math Tutor » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Your questions are very interesting. But I think that can not help you much.

I think you should visit
http://www.bugman123.com/Fractals/Fractals.html

There are much information about fractals.

What course of maths would you recommend for someone like me?

I would like to recommend you to search in the internet.
You do not need courses. There are too much info in the internet about fractals.

Math Tutor
Site Admin

Postby mathsformusic » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:22 am

thanks very much for the reply, i`ll check out that site

I think what you are saying is I can learn to use fractals and other mathmatical ideas for music by picking up the specfiic skills as I go along? (sounds reasonable to me, i`ll have a go)

thanks.

mathsformusic

Postby mathsformusic » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:11 am

excellent site, thanks for the link. (lots of patterns and systems I can peruse and find ones that suit my musical ideas/tastes etc)

mathsformusic

Postby Math Tutor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:39 am

I am glad to read that.

Math Tutor
Site Admin

Re: Maths For Music

Postby leesajohnson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:09 am

I don't understand what are you trying to say with this post "math for music".
leesajohnson

Return to Ask the tutor