Filtering M&M's

Filtering M&M's

Postby pHobbs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 am

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to solve a problem, and having some difficulty. I was hoping maybe someone can help me out here. In my example I want to filter out all Red m&m's, and determine how many get thrown out. I've got 3 bowls, and a waste basket. Lets say I pour m&m's into the first bowl at a rate of 100/hour, and on average it contains 25% Red. Then from there, I take a handful from that bowl and place it into the second bowl, and that handful contains on average 60% reds. From the second bowl I grab a handful to place into the 3rd bowl that contains 97% Red m&m's, which is an acceptable level of filtration. Here's where it seems to get tricky. The 2nd bowl's leftovers get put back into the first bowl and contain an average of 3% reds. So what I'm trying to figure out is how many m&m's/hour need to be removed to the waste basket so that I can maintain a certain level of m&m's in the first bowl without it over filling. What additional variables need to be determined? Do I need to know how many m&m's are in each handful that is being moved to the 2nd and 3rd bowls?

Any thoughts or ideas about this will be muchly appreciated. TIA.
pHobbs

Return to Word Problems