Letters on a board

Letters on a board

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:25 am

In each of the cells of a 7x8 board (7 rows, 8 columns) we write one of the letters A, B or C, with the following restrictions:
In each row, number of As >= of number of Bs and number of As is >= of number of Cs.
In each column, number of Bs is >= of number of As and number of Bs is >= of number of Cs.
What is the minimum and maximum number of Cs in the board?

Re: Letters in a board

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 am

Let me show what I have tried so far...

By the way, I am not a student (although I wish I were!) - I am 62 and trying to find ways to creatively spend my free time :)
Starting by the rows, I've written down all possible combinations of A, B and C which are 45 in total (9+8+7+...+1). Of those, we keep only the arrangements that meet the required restrictions, i.e. A>=B and A>=C (I mean, number of As, Bs and Cs).
These are the following 17:
3 2 3
3 3 2
4 0 4
4 1 3
4 2 2
4 3 1
4 4 0
5 0 3
5 1 2
5 2 1
5 3 0
6 0 2
6 1 1
6 2 0
7 0 1
7 1 0
8 0 0

We then do the same with the columns, where we keep only the 13 arrangements.
0 4 3
0 5 2
0 6 1
0 7 0
1 3 3
1 4 2
1 5 1
1 6 0
2 3 2
2 4 1
2 5 0
3 3 1
3 4 0

I don't know what to do next. We can see, for example, that in the rows, we have a minimum of 0 and maximum 4 Cs - but we can't simply say that the total minimum / maximum for the entire board is 0 and 4*7=28, right? Same also with the columns (0 - 3*8=24).

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Spoiler: show
Consider the statement "In each row the number of As >= number of Bs".
This implies "Total number of As on the board >= total number of Bs on the board".

Similarly the statement "In each column the number of Bs >= number of As" gives us
"Total number of Bs >= total number of As".

These two implications ("total As >= total Bs" and "total Bs >= total As") imply that "total As = total Bs".

We can go further and actually deduce that in each row the number of As = number of Bs. To see why...

...consider the quantity(/definition):
[tex]r_i[/tex] = "number of As in row i - number of Bs in row i".
We know from the problem specification that [tex]r_i[/tex] >= 0 for all i,
and furthermore it isn't hard to see that the sum of the [tex]r_i[/tex] is the same as
(sum of number of As in each row) - (sum of number Bs in each row)
= total number of As - total number of Bs
= 0 (as we concluded earlier that the total number of As = total number of Bs).
So we are in the situation where the sum of non-negative [tex]r_i[/tex] equal 0...

...the only way this could happen is if all the [tex]r_i[/tex] are 0, i.e.
the number of As in row i = number of Bs in row i.

Similarly we can deduce the number of As in column j is the same as the number of Bs in column j.

Now the problem is severely constricted, from the lists you've constructed it is clear the number of A, B, Cs in a row has to be either 4,4,0, or 3,3,2,

and the number of A, B, Cs in a column can only be 3,3,1.

So every column has to have precisely one C, so the total number of Cs must be 8 (this the maximum and minimum, there is no wiggle room).

The only thing left to do is prove that there is a solution with exactly 8 Cs (there may be no solutions, all I've done is shown that *if* there are solutions they all have 8 Cs). I leave that as an exercise for you to do, it is not hard, given the restrictions we've shown a solution must follow.

Hope this helped,

R. Baber.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:01 pm

A B A B C B A C
B A B A B C C A
C C A B A B A B
B A C C B A B A
A B A B A B A B
B A B A B A B A
A B B A A A B B

R. Baber, you are such a genius!!!