Interpreting Graphs

Interpreting Graphs

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 pm

A liquid is heated in lab using hot plate the graph temperature vs time is shown below

c6ehBn5.png
c6ehBn5.png (282.51 KiB) Viewed 193 times

answer using letter A, B, C, D FROM THE ABOVE GRAPH

1) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE ZERO?

2) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE CHANGING?

3) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE POSITIVE?

4) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE GREATEST?

5) CALCULATE RATE OF CHANGE FOR SECTION A, INCLUDING UNITS?

MY ANSWER FOR

1) C

2) B

3) A

4) D

5) NOT SURE HOW TO SOLVE

PLEASE CHECK MY ANSWERS AND HELP ME

THANKS

Re: Interpreting Graphs

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:12 am

1) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE ZERO?[/quote]
Your answer was "C". Yes, that is correct. The graph is horizontal, at 70 degrees C so unchanging. The rate or change is 0.

2) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE CHANGING?
Your answer was "B". No, that is not correct. Anywhere the graph is a straight line, the rate or change is a constant, the slope of the line. If the rate of change is changing the graph will be curving. That happens in section "D".

3) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE POSITIVE?
Your answer is "A". Partially. The graph is going upward in both A and B so the rate of change is positive in both of those.

4) WHERE IS THE RATE OF CHANGE GREATEST?
Your answer is "D". No, that is not correct. In section D, the graph is decreasing so any rate of change (as in question 2 the rate of change is changing itself so is different at each point) is negative and cant be greatest. In "B" the graph is increasing at the greatest angle so the rate of change is greatest.

5) CALCULATE RATE OF CHANGE FOR SECTION A, INCLUDING UNITS?[/tex]
At the beginning of section A, on the left, the temperature is 0 degrees C. At the end, on the right, it is 30 degrees C. That happened over a period of 20 minutes so the rate of change is [tex]\frac{30}{20}= \frac{3}{2}[/tex] degrees C per minute.

Return to Differential Equations