Given a velocity vector and a point, find the angle (urgent)

Vectors in geometry

Given a velocity vector and a point, find the angle (urgent)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Hello! So I am doing this vectors as velocity question and I need help solving it. Basically, James Bond is driving 70.9km/h [N] and launches himself off a cliff. A helicopter is waiting for him 20m North and 15m West from him (at the same elevation). If a large gust of wind travelling 54km/h [W] hits him as he jumps from the car, what angle does he need to jump out of the car from in order to land in the helicopter?

So what I did so far was, I found the velocity vector that he is travelling if he jumps directly north from the car and that is:

[tex]\sqrt{(70.9)^2 + (54)^2}[/tex]
which gives you 89.12km/h [N37.3W]
I do not know how to figure the angle he should jump at to get to the point

Re: Given a velocity vector and a point, find the angle (urg

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:54 am

If he jumps with speed v at angle [tex]\theta[/tex] (east of north) then his velocity vector is [tex]\left(79+ v cos(\theta), v sin(\theta)\right)[/tex]. Together with the wind, (0, -54), his total velocity vector is [tex]\left(79+ v cos(\theta), v sin(\theta)- 54\right)[/tex] . Taking his initial position to be (0, 0), at time, t, his position will be [tex]\left( v cos(\theta)t, (v sin(\theta)- 54)t \right)[/tex] .

He wants to jump to the helicopter at (20, -15) so there must exist t such that [tex]\left( v cos(\theta)t, (v sin(\theta)- 54)t \right)= (20, -15)[/tex].

The two equations [tex]v cos(\theta)t = 20[/tex] and [tex](v sin(\theta)- 54)t= -15[/tex] can be solved for t and [tex]\theta[/tex] in terms of v.

Return to Vectors