Related Text for learning math for Computer programming

Ask the math tutor!

Related Text for learning math for Computer programming

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 am

Hello everyone;
I was in math all throughout highschool. and my major was math in college.
Then everything changed and I went in a tottaly different direction. (there is a life leasson in there for you ).
I got my M.A in English Literature and my Doc. in Teaching.
Now I am in the place I have to learn computer programming such as C and C#.
I need refresh course in math and I need it very soon. What I want is a set of related Math books according to my level in math and related to computer programming (what of math used in computer programming). (Ebook would be nice but I will by a paperback also).
I am counting on you.
Thanks

Re: Related Text for learning math for Computer programming

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2014 9:06 am

If you are a beginner you need very little maths. If you understand and can form basic arithmetic and logical expressions you should be fine (things like "if (0<x and x<10) then y = 3x", i.e. set y to 3 times x if x is between 0 and 10).

Most of what you will learn as a beginner is the technical specification of the programming language. Things like how to store and retrieve data, get input from the keyboard, declare and manipulate variables, form subroutines, manage memory, organize code, fix faults in the program etc..

As you get more advanced you will learn that a lot of common programming tasks (for example sorting or searching through a list of data) have been extensively studied and there are numerous clever ways people have dealt with the problem. At this stage you may want to start looking at books on data structures and algorithms. There is lots of free information out there and free videos of lecture courses teaching this sort of stuff. There's a fair amount of maths used in how they work and in their analysis however as a programmer you only need a brief overview as it is almost certain that someone will have already implemented the algorithm and given it away for free. So as a programmer you can use the algorithm in your code without needing to know the technical details.

The more programming you do the more you'll specialize in a particular area and the more maths specific to that area you'll pick up to help you efficiently program what you want. For example if you program computer games you'll benefit from learning coordinate geometry to help you place objects on the screen, and to efficiently detect collisions between objects etc., if you program 3D games you'll need to learn about vectors and matrices. If you are trying to analyse large amounts of data for stock market trading then you should look at the maths of pattern recognition and artificial intelligence. If you're interested in passing data between computers you should look at the maths of information entropy and data compression. If you're doing programming for an academic research project you might need to look at the maths of convex optimization.

If you're just starting to program I wouldn't worry too much about the maths (I started when I was 10 which should indicate how very little maths is required) you'll pick up what maths you need as your programming skills grow.

Hope this helped,

R. Baber.

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2014 10:40 am

Hello R;
Thanks very helpful.
But still My question is about a basic to mid level math stuff related to programming. Like integers, Limits, factorials, integrals and so on. There is a lot of data (numbers) manipulation stuff going on. the main problem is the nagging feeling that I half know the stuff but I can't remeber them.
So I guess basic math college text books or mid level math e-books would help. (If you could give some names. then I start searching for them in ebook format or else buy them.)

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2014 1:37 pm

Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow you to put lots of links in a post. If you search the internet for how much maths you need to start programming you get pretty similar results to my previous post. For example
http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2012/03/18/how-much-math-do-i-need-to-know-to-program-not-that-much-actually/

You need to know what integers and real numbers are and have a very very basic understanding of algebra (as a lot of statements are written using variables). It is unlikely you'll need any stuff like factorials, limits, or integrals but ultimately it depends on what you are trying to program, to quote the above link:
You would need to know math in order to write programs that do, say, earthquake simulators. But that’s more about needing to know math for earthquakes rather than needing to know math for programming

https://www.khanacademy.org/math has basic math tutorials but they are in video format not as ebooks. Also this site has various pages dedicated to basic math concepts. If you post what area you are working in or what type of programs you are intending to create I might be able to point you to more relevant resources.

Hope this helped,

R. Baber.

Postby leesajohnson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:41 am

I think that you should take help from math tutor who can only understand that how you can do well in math subject. And if you are looking to learn computer programming, that also need a tutor for you to learn it easily.

leesajohnson

Postby Dore1981 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:08 am

this article is based on the related text for learning math for computer programming. This is in high demand. I agree this programming is important for users but I think it is also important to inform you about a good data science app. This app ia make your data trasfer very easy. if you want clear something you can check on the site of Einblick I hope this will be good for you.
Dore1981

Return to Ask the tutor